If you have not yet heard of or tried a collagen supplement, the odds are you know someone who does. The reason for this is simple, the health benefits are immense. So much so that it has been making headlines in recent times. But how does it work?
Your skin, or dermis, consists of collagen, a flexible yet strong protein that gives skin its elasticity, structure, and firmness. As a result, your skin has a healthy glow. This is particularly beneficial when we begin to age. We produce less collagen as we age which results in wrinkles and loose skin. Taking a collagen supplement can help restore the youthful properties our skin once experienced.
This protein is the most abundant protein found in our bodies and is used for more than just improving the appearance of the skin. Our tendons, connective tissue, bones, cartilage, teeth, and skin all rely on collagen for their structure.
So, where do most of our collagen come from when we do not take supplements? In most cases, our diet provides the nutrients required to produce collagen. Sometimes, our diets are not sufficient, and this is where a collagen supplement comes in. Of course, the selection process can be intimidating, here are a few tips to get you started.
Top 5 Tips For Selecting A Collagen Supplement
- Don’t overly complicate it: When it comes to ingredients, you want the main ingredient to be collagen. When it comes to product labels, many companies require all the ingredients to be listed. So, when in doubt, check the label to make sure you are buying a high-quality supplement.
- Additives are a no: Just like when it comes to the foods we eat, the supplements we consume should also be as natural as positive without the extra additives and preservatives. These products are added to make the appearance and flavor more appealing, however, they often do more harm than good.
- Hydrolyzed collagen: This is the type of collagen that you need to be consuming as the molecule size is smaller and easier to absorb, so you can drink it in tea, coffee, or juice while you play Grand Rush promo games and not even notice.
- Understand the different sources: Collagen can come from so many different animals, each providing its own set of health benefits. Bovine, marine, and porcine collagen all have health benefits related to the skin.
- The more you know: Do your research before taking any supplements, and when in doubt, ask your doctor. You are consuming the supplement; it is important to make sure that it will be beneficial to your health and not have any adverse health effects. A pretty bottle or label does not equate to quality.
The benefits associated with taking any form of supplement all depend on the product and substances contained within it. The aim is to improve your health and wellbeing, and you need to make sure that everything you are taking will deliver on that promise.